Sunday, May 16

Papillion 10k

Who knew this course would be so hilly?  I should have looked at the elevation chart/course map a little more before just signing up cause they had tech tee shirts.  Well, that’s not the only reason I signed up.  I wanted to have a mini goal after the half.  So I couldn’t just stop running all together.  Just signed up for the Memorial day 5miler, which I ran last year about a week before surgery.  So that’ll be fun!

This race, I work up LATE!  Race started at 7:40, about 15minutes away from my house.  Not too sure what parking was going to be like.  I wanted to wake up at 6:00, leave around 6:15, 6:30 cause you could pick up your packet between 6:30-7am.  I woke up at 6:41!  Yikes.  Brushed my teeth, threw on some clothes, grabbed garmie, gatorade, and sports beans, license $5 and my phone and I was off! Drove there slightly over the speed limit and arrived at 7:05.  Yeah.  They were still parking people and it was really easy to get too, thank goodness!  I was able to pick up my packet and get it back to my car before the race started.  But no real time to get to the BR.  This would come back to haunt me.  I grabbed a quick swig of berry rain gatorade and three sports beans cause I was starving.  I haven’t been this tired for the start of a race for a while.  1/2 marathoners started at 7:30, and we started at 7:40 two hundred yards behind them. 

I was thankful for those two hundred yards as we started out, I was able to bank some time (those two hundred yards were downhill) before heading up hill.  These weren’t itty bitty hills you were over and done with quickly.  These were those long slow really feel ‘em kinda hills.  Killa. 

Mile splits:

  1. 9:54 (that includes the uphill!)
  2. 11:26 (more hills, I won’t even write this cause each mile had hills!)
  3. 11:02
  4. 11:36
  5. 11:27 ( walked as we approached this mile, this gal came up behind me who I’d been leap frogging and said “I want to finish this without walking.  Help me out!” and I was running again.  Thanks Breea!)
  6. 13:03 (slowly winding our way up a big hill)
  7. (0.24) – 2:29 10:42AP

Total time:  1:11:58 11:31 AP. Why does my Avp moving pace say 11:18?  I know garmie lost me cause we went through a tunnel, is that where those times are off?  Oh well, at least I have garmie. 

Here’s some photos:

28849_426215845812_719835812_5655881_2813720_n

What’s that on the red ribbon?  Oh yeah, they gave out medals!  I got my medal from a special Olympian, cause that was one of the causes this race supported.  I made sure to give them all a big thank you.  I finished the race with Breea, I was very thankful she pushed me that last mile!  The announcer even announced our names as we crossed the finish line.  Very cool.

28849_426216445812_719835812_5655883_5747220_s

Ignore the fact that my engraving is a sticker.  I’m still proud of my new hardware.

28849_426216800812_719835812_5655892_1338555_s

What’s that, free popcorn with nobody manning the booth?  Don’t mind if I do!

 

Why is it that during a race you feel awful and think that you’re doing the best you can.  But when you’re done you think “I totally could have pushed it a little more!”.  I always have kind of a race regret afterwards.  During the race though, I feel like I’m giving it my all.  Strange, no?

8 comments:

Julie said...

Good job on your 10K! Those hills will actually help you for your next 10K race. Find one that is flat and fast and you will just kick it:) I really like your bling too!

Lauren said...

Oh I'm sure you gave it your all. It's always easier afterward to say "I could have pushed harder" cuase you're not working anymore! You just gotta trust that you did your best, especially if you felt like it during the race.

Such a great job on those hills!

Five Green Penguins said...

woohhoo!! Great Job, Kelly!! :)

kilax said...

Yay! Great job! Love the medal (even though it's a sticker!)!

I always feel that way during and after races too. I think that after the race you can more clearly analyze how you could have run better, but during the race, you are depleting oxygen from your brain and you are confused. Ha ha. That is my excuse ;)

X-Country2 said...

Hilly races are the worst! Way to power through. Next weeks promises to be flat, so fingers crossed. :o)

Melissa said...

Yay!! Great job, Kelly!!

Hi! I'm Erin said...

Nice job pushing through at the end! Especially with all the killer hills.

I love all the swag you got. And I love that they gave out medals.

I tend to have race regret, too. If only I had run just a little bit faster! I've got to learn to be happy with what I do regardless of the time.

Jamie said...

Love that medal! Nice job pushing through on a tough, hilly course!