Thursday, January 14

To pilates or not to pilates?

Hey there peeps!

What do you all think of pilates?



Like on the reformer? I took this "peak into pilates" class today at the gym. It was about 1/2 private lesson/peak into pilates (hence the name). I liked it cause a) I got a whole body workout; b) I stretched!; c) it was free.

Now my mom always said that pilates was good for you and if I found a class I should take it. And I was thinking, if I signed up now and did 2-3 classes (1hr each)/week, maybe I'd be all toned and buff like the gal in the picture above for the trip?

It's extra money, cause it's a reformer class. That's kinda my dilemma. Cause, if I really really like it, will I want to shell out that kinda mula to keep going? Will I lose all the tone and fitness I gain from pilates once I'm done with my 8 or 12 week class, if I never go back?

Help!

Before the class I tried to get in a run. But I ran into another dilemma. I wanted to run but I didn't want to be that icky girl who shows up to this pilates class all sweaty and gross. So I tried hills for about 45 seconds at 6.0 incline at about 5.5 to 5.0 pace. Yeah, it's a good thing they didn't have to scrape me up off the floor. That was tough. I walked/ran/talked with Tiffany. Did the last 5minutes at a 9:40 pace which is fast for me. No laughing. But I did about 1.5 miles total in the 20minutes before the class.

So far it's been a great birthday. Off to quilt/contemplate the benefits of crunching in pilates before the trip.

ps - the recipe to the brownies in my last post

6 comments:

teacherwoman said...

I love pilates. Heck, I used to do atleast 30 minutes of pilates 5 times a week when I was preparing for spring break my senior year of college. LOL. Have you seen some of those women that do it daily... in their 50's and 60's? They are smokin'!

Nikki said...

I have to say, I resisted pilates at first because of the cost but at the urging of my doctor I finally bit the bullet and signed up for a semi-private reformer class. SOOOO WORTH IT! I love reformed pilates. So good for your posture, core, running body etc. Go for it!

JenLo said...

Any pilates (even if you don't stick with it) is always good. I'm not a regular, but my workout class incorporates a lot of pilates moves.

X-Country2 said...

Pilates are good. There's plenty of free options (videos, classes, etc) if you're trying to figure out if you like pilates enough to pay for it. Good luck!

Staci Dombroski said...

I love the pilates! I have always heard the reformer was awesome. We have one at our gym, but I have never tried it. Like you, it was always a money issue for me. I hope you have a great weekend!

Hi! I'm Erin said...

I'm sort of having the same dilemma! I was taking a Pilates class twice a week at Y. It was okay. I felt like the instructor didn't push us enough and that I got to the point where I didn't feel like it was doing anything. However, now that I'm not taking it and I've joined a new gym, I'm eyeing the reformer studio. But, so much money! Maybe I'll just go to a few of the "free" non-reformer classes first.