Sunday, October 4

Race for the cure! So, I didn't PR like I'd been bragging about all week. That's what I get for bragging. But, I did have fun. Until this happened:



So, not an attractive picture but I was wearing a headband the entire time I ran and then my hair did that. Moving on.

So this was about 3/4 of the way through. I knew we had about a 1/2mile to go but we'd started out fast. I thought, foolishly, that if we walked between two light poles and then started running again we'd go really fast and get our under 30min super goal (again, Kelly, it doesn't pay to walk during a RACE, that's why they call them RACES). Well, we pulled off to the sidewalk and walked and then while I was trying to step off the sidewalk and back into the running traffic, I hit some dirt/gravel wrong and biffed. I have scrapes on my thumb, wrist, elbow, and knee. Everybody saw. Everybody said "OH my gosh, are you okay?!"...so I KNOW I looked stupid. To make matters worse, some guy says "Hey Kelly, are you okay? Was that you who fell? I was planning on walking now anyways, let's walk together". Well that guy is a physician I work with. Nice. Nice man, very nice but I was ready to run again and was so embarrassed. We walked until I said "Let's run again" and he'd found another physician to talk with so they pulled ahead (darn tall people and their long legs which make their 'slow pace' so darn fast!). I think I crossed the finish line about 31:12 for 10:04AP according to Garmie (which I didn't forget this time!). (I think I'm a fan of ()) Sorry if this bothers you.

We (Ann and I who ran together) met up with Wende and Amy who also ran. Surprisingly we found them in the 15,000+ that were there. We proceeded to raid the giveaway tables that were still around, and I think I've eaten my weight in Maggie's Gourmet Popcorn - they couldn't give that stuff away fast enough!

We also got the greatest post-race picture EVA! Check it out...


You all can be jealous. I know I know. I think they were maybe Stormtroopers for the Cure? Who knows, they rock though.

6 comments:

teacherwoman said...

Ouch! Sounds like a good race besides the fall!

Rachael said...

Aw, I'm so sorry you fell. Bush it off, no one remembers who actually falls.

I've never had a full fall down yet, but I've rolled the ankle into an embarassing almost fall type stance, usually infront of morning rush traffic ...

I'm loving the pink too :)

Jamie said...

love the stormtroopers pic!

Danica said...

Bummer that you fell, but at least you finished after that. I would have for sure been too drama queen and bailed out... ha ha ha. :)

Morgan said...

Ouch girl!!!! I hope it heals up quick! Oh and that pic is HILARIOUS!!!! Great race!

Morgan said...

Ouch girl!!!! I hope it heals up quick! Oh and that pic is HILARIOUS!!!! Great race!