Tuesday, June 16

Hello world.

Still recovering. Got the catheter out today finally! I feel like a new woman...with a new bladder. Working fine so far. Other than I have to go a little more often than usual but it's smaller so I'm not surprised. Go back to check up on the incision with the ob/gyn doctor tomorrow. Fun times

So. I think I'm not going to train for Chicago. By the time they'll clear me for running at the end of July, I'll basically have a week to get back to it then 8 weeks to train for a marathon. I have to realize that that's not really feasible. I just can't ask my body to do that. Can I sell my non-refundable entry? Do I walk a marathon? Do I contact the Chicago Marathon people and explain the situation? How does this work? Any help would be appreciated.

In boredom news, I'm back to light light housework without much stair climbing. No vacuming yet. Working on a new quilt. And playing Valkeria Chronicles.

10 comments:

Ulyana said...

I wouldn't run it. You can do any other marathon later, when you are healthy.

As about the nonrefundable fee, I've skipped two marathons I paid for and I just let the money go. Can't really give a good advice to you. I doubt they'll refund it.

X-Country2 said...

Happy to hear you're feeling better. They won't likely refund it, but I've heard of smaller races letting you use it next year. Like store credit. Or if the race sells out, there may be people on Craig's List looking to purchase your entry. Good luck!

Jamie said...

Chicago most likely will not refund it but it doesn't hurt to contact them and give them your story. You never know they could give you a free entry next year. Or you could try to sell your entry on Craigslist.

Bootchez said...

I had (a different kind of) bladder surgery earlier this year and though you didn't ask for (this kind of) advice, may I encourage you to follow your doctor's instructions To The Letter, especially in regards to lifting, stairclimbing and running limitations? Be good to yourself, and whilst you might suffer a few 3 months of boredom, your bladder will undoubtedly thank you for years to come. Good luck, and glad to hear you are on the mend.

Nicole said...

Glad you are recovering! Take it easy. I would contact the race organizers and they might let you run next year because it is a medical reason or you could always sell your number.

joyRuN said...

Definitely worthwhile to see if they'll let you roll your fee over to next year, especially given the medical necessity! If not, I'm sure there'll be runners out there who'd buy your number.

Happy recovery.

teacherwoman said...

Happy to hear you are on your road to recovery! I agree with most of the other posts, do run Chicago, see if they can give you a refund or roll your registration over to 2010.

jen said...

Glad to hear you are making progress toward recovery!

I think putting Chicago off is a good idea. You wouldn't enjoy it as much without proper training. I'd give contacting them a shot- they won't refund your money I'm sure, but maybe give you entry to next year?

Continue healing up and stay positive! :)

EricaH said...

Glad to hear slowly but surely you are getting back on your feet. I don't know protocol for getting back a non refundable entry fee but to me it would be worth a shot to call and talk to somebody you never know. Continue to feel better and you will be back running before you know it. :)

chris mcpeake said...

Good to see you are recovering. Best thing you can do is skip Chicago and set your sights on another race. You dont want to take a chance with your health