Thursday, February 12

First ever...10 miles!

10.23 miles (mapped out on Logmyrun) 2:04:03. 12min/mile pace ish.
I was so excited about this run today. And now, I'm even more excited that we finished! We started from my house which was a change of pace, no dogs. We ran to Lake Wehrspan (sp?) and around. We didn't know the way very well and ended up entering the park at a different section than I thought we would. So we ran to the left thinking it must loop around, but didn't see the trail. So we turned around and headed right. Thank goodness we did cause there was a visitor's center with Bathrooms! Hallelujah! We stopped at the facilities and found this cute turtle:

(Norman).
We also took/staged some pictures at the beginning of our run:



(Me giving a thumbs up)



(Tiffany)

Saw some deer just before hitting the visitor's center (three white tail) can you see them?

Felt better after using the BR so we headed back out and looped around the lake. I used my first (ever) cliff shot at Mile 5ish (1:04 in to the run):




My review of the shot: I was nervous about using it cause I was worried about it upsetting my stomach. But I knew we were on the tail end of our run so I figured it was now or never. And that gel had sat in my pantry for months and I'm sure they have to expire at some point, right? If you've never used them, it was like a thick chocolate (that's the flavor I had) pudding consistently. A little vitamin-y sort of. You could tell it was chocolate "flavored" for sure. There seemed to be a lot more of it in the packet than I was expecting. I definitely took my time "eating?" it? I was glad I had water to follow it up with too. I didn't feel extremely different right after using it, but in the last three miles I felt kinda peppy. So I'm sure it helped a bit and so far, I feel fine.

After finishing our loop of the lake, instead of going back home after hitting that weird/new entrance, we ran back to the visitor's center and then back to the new entrance before heading home. I really wanted to make sure we'd be in the double digits. Yes we did walk a bit, but it was our first attempt at double digits. Mine in my life and I think Tiffany's too. I know I'm excited. The last two or three miles I could really tell that my legs were a bit stiff, like I knew that I'd been doing this repetitive motion for about 1:45. You know what I mean?

Us arriving home:


Working 12 tomorrow, this should be interesting! Right now I'm pounding a 32oz Gatorade rain and just and a cup of noodles. They just sounded good. Also, had a banana about an hour before the run and about 45minutes after. So I was kinda healthy, right?

12 comments:

Denise said...

Clif chocolate is the only gel I can use. The rest are either gross or have caffeine, which tears my stomach up on a run.

Congrats on the run!

teacherwoman said...

Ahh, the best thing to do after a long run like that is to do a little icing of any joints, if necessary, and then keep yourself moving. That way the lactate acid doesn't build up TOO much and cause such soreness/stiffness. Great job!

Blyfinn said...

GREAT job! You will never forget the first double digit run you do. Hope the 12 hour shift goes okay on those tired legs. Great job again.

Jogger said...

Oh my gosh, you're making me so excited to hit my first double-digit run in about 2 more weeks. Definitely need to pace my way up to 10--I only have 7 for my long run this week.

I'm super happy for you, and you did awesome!

Oz Runner said...

Props on the long run. Those pics look like you have some nice running paths to run on. I'll have to try the Clif shots, I like chocolate.

Mom on the Run said...

Congrats on the double digits. Looks like it was a great run.

Amy said...

Awesome job on the 10 miles!!!!

Jamie said...

Congrats on the first 10 miler! And fun pics!

Nicole said...

Great job on the run.

jen said...

Congrats on the 10 miler!! That is so exciting. You guys did great. I think you'll get used to the Clif Shots but definitely try other flavors till you find the best one. The sort of vitamin-y taste takes sme getting used to. Still, yay! You're a true distance runner for sure. :) That trail looks beautiful too! I love seeing critters on my runs. :) Have a great weekend.

joyRuN said...

Yeay! Congrats on the mileage :) Hope today wasn't too grueling on your recovering legs.

M*J*C said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Your first 10 miler is a HUGE accomplishment!!! Yeah You!!!!! I remember my first 10 miler, I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!!!