Sunday, November 16

Lamar's rules.

Donuts after a run. MMM I love Sundays. Well, maybe not just Sundays but any day I decide I need to treat myself after a run. I have the house to myself this morning before I go to work for the evening shift. So I got myself some donuts.
Made it out for another run, at the gym. I think I'm falling into the "if it's not fast it's not good" or the "You're way too slow to call yourself a runner" mantra. :/ Walked for a few minutes then did the next 0.75 at 7.0. What was I thinking?! That's way faster than my normal fast pace of 6.0. Had to walk at the mile mark then went right back up to 7.0, bopped around from 7.0 to 6.5 to walking for the next 1.75 miles. I walked a lot during this almost three mile run. And I know I could have done the whole three if I didn't freak out and think that I had to start out fast or keep going fast to make it a good workout. I should just accept my slowness, but it's so hard to do that. I can't seem to let myself remember that this time last year I nearly cried because I ran two miles in a row without stopping, even if it was at 5.0 speed or something along those lines. Does anyone else get frustrated with their seemingly to them, lack of progress? Grr. If it's not the fact that I totally chickened out on a long run it's the fact that I didn't do my shorter runs fast enough. Why can't I just be happy that I got my butt off the couch and went to the gym?

Oh well, I did get a run in. Maybe I'll be on my way to another 14 or dare I say it 15mile week? :D

4 comments:

joyRuN said...

Don't sweat it, girl! The speedy ones need us slowpokes around to make them look good.

Kidding.

I was just thinking about my lack of progress while I updated my race list today. I'm running longer, but not faster. I'm a classic tortoise, & I'm okay with that (usually).

Blyfinn said...

Maybe it's just me but I don't see any "lack of progress" here. You just wrote that you were amazed last year due to running 2 miles without stopping. And if I remember right you completed a 5k race not to long ago and a 4 mile hilly trail run. I would call that progress. Keep it up!

Brooke said...

That's all it is; one at a time...the mileage goes up and the runs get faster...truly.

jen said...

I completely relate to the "lack of progress" frusteration. But what you need to remember is that your will be a runner for a long time, and if you ran every single run faster than the last you're going to max out in like a month!

It's totally fine to do your runs at a slower pace. Maybe focus on your form, or on completing the distance without walking, or feeling like you could have kept going. Occasionally, you can push it and see how you can do at a harder effort, but for the most part just keep doing your 6.0 (or whatever) thing and be proud! These runs are the bread and butter and you'll be doing it for a long time.

I still do my everyday/easy runs at the same pace I started at... I can just run a lot faster when I need to!