Thursday, July 17

Dear running blog, I'm cheating on you.

My husband titled this post. We decided this should be the name after I kicked his a&* in swimming on Tuesday. I know that people will be tired of me complaining... but I'm a beginner, it's my blog, and the sport of running is immensely frustrating. Just a few short weeks ago I was a running rockstar with my 7.15 mile long run. This week, again I've got just 4.3 miles total. I feel like I take one step forward and three back. I have this high of a really good long run then take a few days off to recover and then all of the sudden when I run again it's like "well 2miles, that's good right?"...or... "20minutes is enough, I'm tired, there's a lot of people in the world who would kill to be able to run 20minutes straight". Ah! I just have excuses after excuses and I feel so disappointed after all of these wimpy runs. I know I should just shut up and get out there but it's so much easier to sit around and complain about how my running isn't good enough. You know? I long for the day when I have an "easy 5miles or 8miles" on my training schedules. When I have a few 1/2's under my belt. Ah, to skip ahead ten years in my running life...

So, Tuesday I had a swim, 45minutes, didn't keep track of laps again. My husband at 20minutes said "how about one or two more lengths?". I said "no I want to do a few more than that I'd like to do at least 30minutes". So he stopped at 30 and I went on to 45. Rock on! So proud of that. Maybe if I just get myself on to a schedule of running one day and swimming the next, that'll work. We'll see. I've signed myself up for the nike 10K 8/31/08 and the world wide half in October. That training's not going so well...

Hope every one's week is going well. Thanks for listening to me gripe.

2 comments:

Mom on the Run said...

I was kind of in that slump this spring. Too busy, too tired, and struggling to get through a run without walking.

Hang in there. You've got a blogging world of supporters to encourage you and keep you going. Also, is there a running group in your town or another runner or two that you could start meeting with for a run. The company does wonders and actually helped me get started running.

jen said...

Wow, great job on the swim! It took me a long time to be able to swim 45 minutes straight.

Don't worry about the running lately, you'll get your motivation back. 2 miles IS better than nothing and it will keep you from losing your running fitness. Next time try going for 25 or 30 minutes, you won't even notice the extra time and you'll feel great. Stay positive and keep up the awesome fishiness (swimming :P)