Friday, June 20

So in regards to my last post. I know that I should be proud but jealousy got the best of me. The funny thing is one of the things I tell people who don't run (yet) is that it is such an individual sport. What I mean is you don't necessarily race everybody out there, your running is for you not for any body else. You just run to make you better. That's it. I have a hard time being proud of myself for a certain distance. What helps is remembering being brought to tears when I ran my first two miles straight. I think it took me something like 28 minutes but it was running, and I was so happy. Does anyone else have any happy running memories? That one just made me smile. :D

I haven't run this week. No joke. Not one step. First off I was too sore from my Saturday "long" run :) and then I did relay for life for 5 hours that night. Probably not the smartest scheduling but it was fun and inspirational, I couldn't pass it up. I woke up Sunday with a "dry"throat. I thought maybe I'd yelled too loud during relay. But I was sick, by Monday night when I got home from a 12 hour day I would hyperventilate and then have a bad non productive coughing fit. So bad my husband suggested that I had "a severe upper respiratory infection" and that I go see the doctor the next day. Well I was non productive and really felt pretty fine else where but the burning left in my chest from all the coughing. I'm still not a hundred percent. And I ran today just to get some miles on my legs. I did a 1.5 mile tempo run on the treadmill surprise surprise. Felt awkward and wheezy despite my magical inhaler. Oh well, hopefully tomorrow will be better.

3 comments:

jen said...

Sorry you were/are sick! Smart just to take a few days off.

You are so right about running being individual. I have lots of memories like yours that make me feel proud of how far I've come.. you should really savor your achievements as you build up your mileage so you can look back and smile! Keep up the good work, and hope you feel better!

Mom on the Run said...

I hope you are feeling better.

Jodi said...

I hear ya. There are people that will never understand. I say ignore em and focus on your own goals. You're doing great! Keep it up and get well soon!