Sunday, June 15

So as far as my long run yesterday... I'm having a hard time focusing on just distance and not distance and speed. It's hard when you hear people say "9 min/mile or under 8/mile". You feel so new and inexperienced and not good at running. At least I feel like if I was really a runner I'd be faster. Like I'm a phony. But, it is nice to be able to say to someone "I ran 7 miles yesterday for my long run". ... I have long runs! I just wish the speed would pick up.

Today, my quads felt stiff. I stretched a little on my lunch break, that helped. Also, probably not a good idea to do my long run and then relay for life that night. I walked off and on from 5pm to 10pm. whoo hoo. It was a really neat event though, I love going to it.

4 comments:

jen said...

That's very cool you did the Relay for Life!

I know what you mean- it's hard to not compare yourself to others. But you have realize that every single person is slower than someone and faster than someone. For every person that is faster than you, there is someone who wishes they could do what you do. Just get over it! (I mean that in the nicest way possible). :)

Of course, it's easier said than done. Lately I've been dealing with this myself with biking and swimming. I'm so new to it, just like you are to running, but I can't help but feel bad about being slow compared to others in my group. I am always last! But you know what, it's awesome that I can even DO that stuff, and I know I'll get better! So keep up the hard work and keep a positive attitude. You are doing GREAT. :)

SJ said...

Hi Kelly, I love that I found your blog! I am also a beginning runner. I read a lot of the blogs that "real" runners write and although they are inspiring and motivating, they are way out of my league right now. When I read your entries just now, I felt like I was reading my own blog. Love it!

Steve Stenzel said...

YEAH for having long runs!! Don't worry about the speed right now - get in the distance, and the speed will start sneaking it's way in there!...

KellyH said...

Thanks guys. This blog feels very official with people commenting, weird!